Board Meeting Minutes
February 19, 2015
At Covenant United Methodist Church
Attending: D. Bird, B. Elwell, P. Goodman, M. Howden, N. Jaschik, G. L'Esperance, G. Mott, H. Parreño, P. Peters, G. Strother, B. Swan
Guest Presenters from MetroJustice: Jon Greenbaum and Tracy Farmer
1. Opening Reflection: A moment of silence was held for the Muslim students killed in North Carolina
2. Annual Budget: Dayle presented the proposed 2015 TIAR Budget; it was accepted unanimously.
3. Presentation: The sheets from the January session were reviewed and a general discussion of how to organize our thoughts to get to a plan of action ensued. Various institutions and current programs dealing with racism were identified. We are requested to listen to two podcasts of “This American Life” and to take the Implicit Bias Exercise in preparation for the March discussion. Specific directions on the relevant web sites will be sent to all Board members in the near future.
4. Organization Business:
- Pachamama Expense: Gail moved and Peter seconded authorizing Becky to contribute printing for the forthcoming April 19 program. Approved unanimously.
- Donation to Sanctuary Village: Peter moved and Trish seconded to authorize a $100 donation to Sister Grace – House of Mercy for this project. Approved unanimously.
- Information on the Moral Mondays program of the NYS Religion-Labor Coalition will be provided later
- Local fast food workers that are part of Fight for $15 movement are joining forces with members of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, calling for action in solidarity with the fired workers. Workers and community members will be holding a rally and delivering petitions from local supporters to McDonalds management at 3300 Monroe Ave, 5:00pm on Friday the 27th.
Executive Committee Meeting: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, at the Golden Fox Restaurant, located on Culver Road across the street from Covenant United Methodist Church.
- TIAR Board Meeting: March 19, 2015 at 4 PM at Covenant United Methodist Church, (Culver at Parsells)
- TIAR Annual Celebration: Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM at the Shults Center at Nazareth College. Our speaker will be James Lawrence, former opinion editor of the Democrat & Chronicle; topic to be determined. All members are encouraged to attend and bring a friend.