April 16, 2015
Held at Covenant United Methodist Church
Attending: D.Barnes, R.Herman, M.Morich, D.Bird, B.Swan, N.Jaschik, G.Strother, J.Noronha, H.Parreño, G.Mott, M.Wienk, G.Garman and G.L’Esperance ; Guest- Emily McNeil, Organizer with the Labor Religion Coalition based in Albany
1. Opening Reflection- By G.Mott.
2. Minutes- Motion by H.Parreño ; seconded by D.Barnes to approve the March 19, 2015 Meeting minutes. Approved unanimously.
3. Goodwill GoodGuides Program- Motion by R.Herman; seconded by H.Parreño to recommend this program to our membership for them to review this one on one mentoring program and have the opportunity to volunteer. Approved unanimously.
4. Executive Committee Action- Motion by G.Mott; seconded by C.Garman to endorse the Executive Committee decision to send a $150 honorarium to Metro Justice in appreciation of the 3 sessions on racism which the presented to the board. Approved unanimously.
5. Treasurers Report- D.Bird, Treasurer, made an oral report. The treasury balance as of April 16, 2015 is $4,925.46.
6. Religious Freedom Restoration Act Motion- Motion by G.Strother; seconded by G.L’Esperance to authorize submission of a letter drafted by J.Noronha to the editor (D&C). The letter commented on the intent of the Indiana legislature. Approved unanimously.
7. Raise the Age- Motion by R.Herman; seconded by N.Jaschik to authorize the TIAR president to send letters to appropriate local state legislators in support of raising the age to allow older youths to be referred to Family Court rather than to the adult criminal justice courts. Approved unanimously.
8. Racial Dialogue- Verdis Robinson, a professor at MCC, will speak to us at the May 21,2015 Board meeting
9. Moral Mondays and the Labor Religion Coalition- Emily McNeil, organizer spoke to us and answered questions.
10. Reports- M.Morich reported on Membership; G.L’Esperance reported on the Annual Meeting/Event;
11. Mailing Address- Reminders: The TIAR mailing address is PO Box 25245, Rochester, NY 14625. The new (current) TIAR web site is www.tiar.org .
The next Executive Committee meeting will be Tuesday May 5, 2015 at 830 AM at the Golden Fox Restaurant, located on Culver Road across the street from Covenant United Methodist Church.
The next Board meeting will be May 21 2015 at 4 PM at Covenant United Methodist Church, (Culver at Parsells).
( the end of these minutes)