THE INTERFAITH ALLIANCE OF ROCHESTER
+People of Faith Working Together For Justice in Public Policy+
March 15, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes
Attending: R.Codding, B.Elwell, R.Davis, C.Garman, R.Herman, M.Howden, F.Islam, N.Jaschik, T.Javed, E.Johnson, M.Morich, H.Parreño, P.Peters, G.Strother B.Swan, and G.Wethers,. Guests: Ernest Flagler-Mitchell, Gary Pudup and Char Guess Bardques
1. Opening Reflection- By P.Peters.
2. Minutes: Motion by B.Elwell; seconded by T.Javed to approve the minutes of the February 15, 2018 Board meeting. Approved unanimously.
3. Membership- M.Morich reported. 53 paid returns out of possible 109 members.
4. Annual Meeting Committee- H.Parreño reported. A dinner will occur following the meeting. Presenter and panelists will be guests; others will pay for selves. Place and details to follow.
5. Budget report deferred.
6. Poor Peoples Campaign- Motion for TIAR to join by R.Codding; seconded by H Parreño. Approved unanimously.
7. Gun Violence and Gun Control- Ernest Flagler-Mitchell, a Monroe County Legislator spoke to these issues which were also addressed by Gary Pudup (New Yorkers Against Gun Violence). Motion by B.Swan; seconded by E.Johnson for TIAR to support and encourage attendance on 3/24/18 at St. Mary’s Square the youth organized anti-gun violence event. Approved unanimously. Motion by N.Jaschik; seconded by B.Elwell for TIAR to support the need for safe storage legislation. Approved unanimously. Motion by R.Codding; seconded by E.Johnson for TIAR to endorse the proposal of the Interdisciplinary Group on Preventing School and Community Violence proposal as presented at the web site https://curry.virginia.edu/prevent-gun-violence . Approved unanimously.
8. Support for Stable Housing- P.Peters encouraged each of us to support this NYS Assembly bill.